The freight division of the Wiener Lokalbahnen (WLB), named WLC, got its first own locomotive in January 2009. Up till then the WLB primarily used electrics leased from (MRCE/Siemens) Dispolok. Before delivery, the WLC used unit 183 602 for testing and training. The first unit, the designated 1216 950, arrived by the end of the month, homologated for Germany and Austria only.
In 2009 and 2010, the 950 was used together with the hired ES64U2s for freight trains towards to Dutch border. In the summer of 2010 it was sent to Hungary for homologation tests with SLB 91.
This was done because in the mean time the WLC decided to order four additional units, with additional homologation for Hungary, the Czech Republic and Slovenia, to be used at the East-West axis from Hamburg to Budapest.
Because Siemens already had several ES64U4 units in stock at that moment, short term delivery was guaranteed. In the first week of August 2010, the first new unit was outshopped, with number 1216 951. Within days it was renumbered 183 704. One month later, WLC also recieved 183 705.
In 2011 unit four and five were delivered. They got, and kept, their 1216 number: 1216 953 and 954. The last one was presented with a special green livery promoting the logistics company Hödlmayr
In September 2012 an extra locomotive was added to the fleet. Former stock locomotuve 183 713 was acquired and put into service as 1216 955, with a livery of Roland Spedition from Austria.